Paris and Helsinki, 10 January 2022
Neoen and Prokon sign a PPA with Equinix in Finland for at least 30 MW of wind energy
  • Neoen and Prokon will supply Equinix with 85% of the green energy and guarantees of origin to be produced by their future Björkliden wind farm
  • Björkliden wind farm will have a total capacity of at least 35 MW.
  • Its construction is scheduled to begin in 2023, with commissioning to follow in 2024
  • The innovative power purchase agreement (PPA) with Equinix runs for 10 years and is partially indexed to market prices
  • It is the seventh green PPA Neoen has signed in Finland since 2018
  • Björkliden will be Neoen’s third wind farm in Finland, taking the Group’s installed capacity to over 500 MW in the country

Neoen (ISIN: FR0011675362, ticker: NEOEN), one of the world’s leading producers of exclusively renewable energy, announces the signing at the end of December 2021 of a new power purchase agreement (PPA) for at least 30 MW of green energy in Finland. The PPA was awarded as a result of the competitive tender run by Equinix, a world leader in digital infrastructure provision and services, to provide renewable energy for the firm’s locations in Finland.

Under the 10-year agreement, Equinix will purchase 85% of the green energy and guarantees of origin to be produced by the Björkliden wind farm in Finland. Located in the municipality of Närpes, in the western region of Ostrobothnia, the wind farm will have seven wind turbines, with a total capacity of at least 35 MW. Neoen owns an 80% stake in the project, the remaining 20% being owned by Prokon, who co-developed this project with Neoen. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2023, with commissioning to follow in 2024.

The innovative PPA is partially indexed to market prices. It is Neoen’s seventh green energy contract in Finland since 2018, clear evidence of the company’s attractiveness to a growing range of clients, particularly large firms like Equinix that are part of the RE1001 initiative. Equinix was the first in the data centre industry to announce a global commitment to become climate-neutral by 2030 as well as set a validated science-based target.

Björkliden is located just a few kilometres from Neoen’s Hedet wind farm, which has a capacity of 81 MW and was commissioned at the start of 2020. Alongside the Mutkalampi wind farm, which is currently under construction and will have a capacity of 404 MW, it will be Neoen’s third wind farm in Finland. Björkliden reaffirms Neoen’s status as one of the country’s leading and fastest growing renewable energy producers, with over 500 MW in operation or under construction in the country.

Sami Holopainen, Managing Director, Finland at Equinix said: “It is vital companies work together to ensure the digital footprint of our global economy is as sustainable as possible. At Equinix, we are committed to achieving our long-term goal of 100% clean and renewable energy across our portfolio of over 235 data centres around the world. With the support of Neoen and Prokon in Finland, we are one step further to accomplishing that and our pledge to become climate neutral globally by 2030 and achieve our science-based targets.”

Jerri Loikkanen, Managing Director of Neoen Finland, commented: “We are delighted to see global companies like Equinix committing to Finnish wind power and honoured that they have selected Neoen to provide renewable energy to the five leading data centres Equinix operates in the country. Neoen’s seventh long-term power purchase agreement in Finland highlights our significant role in pushing carbon neutrality in the country.”

Xavier Barbaro, CEO and Chairman of Neoen, concluded: “I would like to congratulate our teams in Finland for this new achievement. We are delighted to continue growing our presence in Finland, now our third most important country. This new contract demonstrates our ability to win tenders from companies like Equinix who are seeking to secure a supply of renewable energy. This market is key for Neoen and one of the biggest growth areas for our company.”

(1) Established during the 2014 Climate Week in New York, the NGO RE100 is part of the We Mean Business coalition, led by The Climate Group, in partnership with the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP). It aims to bring together international businesses committed to transitioning to a supply of 100% renewable energy as soon as possible (by 2050 at the latest). Its main goal is to accelerate the transition of our power grids to clean energy.